3. October 2008 12:19
I've tried to shy away from political commentary on this blog, but enough is enough. I spent much of last night's VP debate alternately rolling my eyes and being angry. And this morning I feel much the same way. Apparently if you can at least talk and not say anything that a 6th grader would find stupid, you can be a successful VP candidate. Apparently the bar is now so low for Palin that anything counts as a success. The biggest thing I heard last night and this morning is "She did better than I expected". She did better than I expected too, but then again my expectations were terribly low. Is this all we're looking for at this point? It reminds me of that SNL fake commercial for "Lowered Expectations", the dating service for people who aren't quite as good looking or smart or in shape or whatever.
If you could get past the rambling on and on, it became quickly apparently that most of the time Palin was either 1) speaking in gross generalities or 2) contradicting herself or 3) showing herself to be completely in over her head on understanding the nuances of government or 4) just plain saying things that were incorrect. This is the part that made me laugh and roll my eyes.
The part that made me angry is all the stupid Americans who will eat up that hockey mom and Joe Sixpack bullshit hook line and sinker. That's because for a lot of people, it's apparently more important to identify with a candidate than elect someone who will actually help you. Those are the same people who voted for Bush a second time. Can we temporarily suspend their right to vote this election?
Just for grins, here are some of the more crazy things I got from Palin:
- we can't allow Iran to have nuclear energy ... uh make that weapons
- The surge worked so well in Iraq all we have to do is do the same thing in Afghanistan, something the commander on the ground there doesn't even believe.
- Providing a $5000 credit towards health insurance is a zero budget item. Apparently the government doesn't have to pay for that, except with Monopoly money. Luckily Biden called her on this one.
- She kept saying to vote for the party that will give Americans tax cuts. Great idea, that means you are voting for Obama/Biden. The McCain plan mostly gives tax breaks to rich people and corporations.
- She kept saying to vote for the party that wants energy independence, but to her that means drilling for oil that we might have in 10 years rather than focusing on alternative energies and putting money into that. I'm not sure what she means by McCain is using an "all of the above" approach, but she said it a lot of times so I'm sure it will work.
I can go on, but it's just too easy. I hope some people are seeing how ludicrous it is to even have this person in the running besides me.