29. October 2010 18:40
My website was getting a bit long in the tooth, so I finally got around to doing some updates. I've been playing around with a new layout for a few months that I found on one of the open source CSS template sites. I ended up using one from Demus Design and I really like how it turned out.
A few technical notes, for those keeping score at home:
- Under the covers, I'm running on ASP.NET MVC2 now. I started migrating over to MVC when some of the first previews came out. It's been interesting to watch how far this framework has come just since I started playing around with it less than 2 years ago. It was freakishly quick to get my simple pages working.
- I converted my site over to C#. I originally started in VB.NET quite awhile ago, but lately I've been solely working in C# and really prefer it now. It was a pain to have to remember how to do certain VB.NET things on my personal site, so I just switched it over. My site is simple enough it wasn't much work.
- I decided to dump Community Server for my blog. The direction they are going just doesn't fit the single site, small user very well. I hear their Graffiti product may be better for that, but I wanted something simpler. So now I'm running on BlogEngine.NET. I may still switch again to Wordpress, but not sure I'm enough of a power user for it to matter that much.
I still have some work to do around backend stuff like entering data. I also would like to start adding some new sections. My site has been pretty static for awhile and there are some new things I'm interested in talking about. I'm hoping now with the fresh start and easier coding options I can get back into this a bit more.